We offer a wide array of services and trainings to participating Illinois Main Street communities. Each Illinois Main Street community receives a combination of training and technical assistance to advance their revitalization efforts.
This includes one on-site technical assistance visit per year with commercial revitalization experts. Topics include, but are not limited to:
- Organizational Development Services – services to advise communities on how to create and sustain their Main Street organization.
- Board Member, Staff, and Committee Training – training for staff and volunteers to understand the Main Street Approach™, their roles and responsibilities, and techniques and best practices for revitalizing downtown.
- Business Development Assistance – training in understanding the downtown’s economic strengths and weaknesses, development of plans and strategies to improve the downtown business climate.
- Promotion and Marketing Assistance – training services to help local Main Street organizations identify and implement effective marketing strategies, as well as individual downtown promotional events and activities.
- Design Services – support to the Main Street program to create a walkable, livable environment, including trail-oriented development, transportation planning, façade and streetscape improvements, and accessibility enhancements.
- Planning Assistance – services to develop short-term action plans for the Main Street organization, as well as long-term plans that guide the development and revitalization of the Main Street district.
All member communities also participate in in-person and online training programs. For 2019-2020, the program schedule includes:
|Tue., September 10, 2019
||Placemaking for People First Design and Economic Development
|Thu., December 5, 2020 at 10 a.m.
||Understanding Your Main Street’s Market
|Thu., January 23, 2020 at 11 a.m.
||Understanding Historic Preservation Resources
|Thu., February 20, 2020
||Promotions Strategy: Getting the Most Bang for your Buck
|Thu., February 20, 2020
||Walkability for Main Streets (in partnership with AmericaWalks)
|Mon. – Wed., May 18 – 20, 2020
||Main Street Now Conference
In addition, Illinois Main Street members participate in one program review visit annually, receive phone consultation and coaching as needed, and access all the benefits of membership with Main Street America, which includes:
- Discounts on conferences, workshops, and webinars;
- Members-only printed and digital communications;
- 1000s of industry-specific resources, publications, and templates;
- Access to grants and special programs;
- And so much more!
The application for new communities will be available in mid-spring 2020.